Hi there! If you’re on this page you likely have some questions that we all have had at one time or another, here is a list of the most common asked questions in regards to photography in general and how we do things here at Explore The Moment.
Why hire a photographer?
Well there are lots of reasons, for one- experience. Typically photographers have skills with a camera and other equipment that most people haven’t been able to master. Photographers will also be able to help you decide the mood of your photos, help keep everyone organized and can create an experience that you may not have without him/her.
Why does it take so long to get my “complete” digital images back?
Although a photo session may take as little as 30 minutes to complete, managing the photos in post processing is a very detailed and time consuming endeavor. Your completed photos should be as perfect as possible and express the desired emotion.
What does “post processing” mean? Do you retouch photos?
Yes and no… For me personally, post processing includes making minor adjustments to exposure/lighting/brightness and possibly saturation. I typically do not alter the size of body parts or remove or add to the background, however if there are any small blemishes that can easily be removed, I can do that upon request.
But what should I/We wear?
You may not believe this but try not to overthink your wardrobe. Simple is best, I recommend neutral colors (think gray, light/dark blue, black, cream, red, white etc) Patterns/Text tend to take away from the photo quality (as do lots of large jewelry pieces). Unless you purposefully want everyone in your photo to be matching, just try to “coordinate” with a similar colors.
What is the typical process from booking to receiving my photos?
- Once you have contacted me, we will discuss which session you want done, when etc.
- We chat via telephone or message to discuss customizing your session (outfits, color themes, if there are specific poses that are a must have, any concerns you may have (camera shyness, or other issues that you may be concerned about in a photo)). I’m always happy to meet clients in person over coffee/tea if they prefer that!
- We take a few moments at the beginning of the session for introductions and pre-session chat to go over any new thoughts/concerns
- Session will begin- I’ll most likely ask you to do some silly things to get you to relax and give some genuine smiles, and prompt you to do various things to get all of the photos!
- Once the session is over I’ll dive into the post processing phase which can take up to 7-15 days depending on number of photos that were taken.
- You will receive an email with directions to access your gallery, galleries will be live for 30 day and will then be archived.
What is included in the photo session fee’s?
- Pre-session consultation/correspondence throughout the whole process
- My time and effort to find the perfect location
- My time photographing you and/or your family/event
- Photo post processing
- Time spent organizing/uploading photos
- Printing photos or creating albums (if you choose to have prints)
- Completed digital images that you own
- May include cost of thumb drive
What is the difference between “Lifestyle” and “On-Location” photo shoots?
Because I do not currently have my own studio I can offer lifestyle or on location sessions.
Lifestyle photo sessions are done in the comfort of your home- whether that is in your backyard or your living room etc. They generally capture more intimate and comfortable photos and typically won’t include props/backdrops provided by the photographer.
On-location sessions will take place wherever we respectively decide. I typically offer several local park setting or very short “hikes” that have a wonderful payoff with views. It just depends on what makes sense for both client and photographer. Your suggestions are always welcomed, so if you have a location in mind or a favorite spot we can make that work!
When is the best time to have photos taken? If indoors where should photos be taken?
The very best natural light comes a couple of hours after sunrise and 1-2 hours before sunset or on overcast days when the sun is not as bright. If doing a session indoors is the only option, it is best to find a very well lit room with lots of natural light/large windows.
When should I have my newborns photos taken?
The best time to do newborn photos is during the first week after birth, typically within the first 7-10 days. These are the times when we see the adorable sleepy/milk drunk baby photos that we love so much.
What forms or payment do you accept?
Cash, Check, Paypal, Visa/Debit
Have other questions not listed here? Let me know, and I can try and answer as quickly as possible!
Ready to book a session?!
Yay! I’m always happy to chat with new clients! You can call me, email me or text me or use the contact form on my Book A Session page:
Phone: (503) 799-6589